Lumberjack EssayReturn to: Skills and Professions
|Professions – The Lumberjack|
|Lumberjacking | The Lumberjack |UO Craftsman Forum|
|With Hatchet in Hand, By Petra Fyde|
There was a time when all there was to a lumberjack’s life was chopping logs for carpenters to make furniture and bowyers to make their bows and arrows. Not any more! All kinds of things can be found hiding in Brittania’s trees.
The first thing to think about is your character’s attributes. Set strength as high as you can, logs are heavy. Dexterity for stamina and finally a little intelligence.
A pack horse or llama is useful too, or better, a giant beetle.
It matters little whether you chose an axe or a hatchet for your task; as long as it’s one you’re strong enough to lift! Hold it firmly in your hand and swing it at the nearest tree. There are lots of trees in Britannia, and many of them are within town guardzones so you don’t have to defend yourself, or your pack animal, from wild beasts. The farms to the West of Brittain are a good place to start.
Avoid becoming overloaded too quickly by occasionally using your axe on the pile of logs in your pack (double click the axe, target the logs), thus turning them into boards.
Chopping a tree will give you one of the following messages:
- “You hack at the tree for awhile, but fail to produce any usable wood” – You failed your skill check, but can try again on the same tree.
- “You put some logs into your backpack” – You have chopped 10 logs from the tree. You can continue trying to get wood from the same tree until you get the next listed message.
- “There is not enough wood here to harvest” – Move on to another tree. Trees regenerate in around 20 to 30 minutes.
- “You can’t fit any more wood in your backpack!” – You’re overloaded, this message can be avoided by regularly transfering your boards from your pack to that of your pack animal (he can carry 1600 stones).
As you gain in skill you will begin to get strange new woods*:
- At 65 skill – Oak
- At 80 skill – Ash
- At 95 skill – Yew
- At 100 skill – Heartwood, Bloodwood and Frostwood
These special woods spawn randomly on any tree and change periodically. A tree that gave oak last time you chopped it may not give oak the next time you visit it.
*NB Trial accounts are unable to obtain rare wood or resources. More information can be found here
Also when you reach 100 skill you have a chance of finding rare resources:
Last modified: February 11, 2013